Desperate [Fire]House Wife

In the words of Elizabeth Taylor, “I don't pretend to be an ordinary housewife.”

It is an atypical life I lead, being the wife of a firefighter. I am not the normal suburban housewife, that’s for sure.

In my world I am “married” 2/3 to 1/2, of the time depending on how many extra shifts my husband works. The rest of the time I am by my lonesome, left to lounge on my own. Independence is a must. But, for an only child, this is not such a bad set up. I have “my” time and the whole house, including a king size bed, to myself. Then other days I get to “play house!” Honestly, I would not know how to live any other way- I guess because as a married couple, we haven’t known any other way.

Military wives have different woes, not seeing their spouse for months at a time. I can only imagine the angst felt by that long separation. On the other hand, being the wife of a firefighter is an ongoing daily adjustment. One night they are there, the next they are not. Self-sufficiency is a necessity. Even if you are planning to have a “married day,” that phone call comes at any moment to tell you he is staying at the station. Insert self sufficiency here: He was supposed to by the dog food…..! If I could not load up a 40 pound bag of dog food myself, I would be out of luck with two hungry dogs!

Anyway, hubby was recently presented with the honor of "Firefighter of the Year." My initial thought: "That's so great!" My realistic reasoning: "If I am going to take the backseat to a dern firetruck, at least I know that he is excelling and showing such effort at the job he loves!"

4 Rants:

  1. From the Doghouse said...

    Congrats to him!

    And thanks to you for sharing him with us. Hopefully we'll never need his services, but it's nice to know he and those like him are there if we do.

    March 10, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

  2. Priscilla said...

    Doghouse, you like the firefighters of the world, are my hero!

    March 10, 2008 at 11:16 AM  

  3. Supermom said...

    Awesome! congrats to MH! That is truly incredible...of the YEAR?! wow...

    March 10, 2008 at 3:48 PM  

  4. Anonymous said...

    Thanks for writing this.

    November 11, 2008 at 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment