Silver Linings Appear to Line my Life

If an optimist had his left arm chewed off by an alligator, he might say, in a pleasant and hopeful voice, "Well, this isn't too bad. I don't have my left arm anymore, but at least nobody will ever ask me whether I am right-handed or left-handed," but most of us would say something more along the lines of "Aaaaah! My arm! My arm!" ~Lemony Snicket

Though I would not fully fall under the label “optimist,” I am getting more and more towards seeing the silver lining in every situation. I used to just think of myself as semi-encouraging and semi-amusing when I would offer acquaintances a silver lining to any difficulty they may be having. My goal was often a small smirk of brief laugh to get their mind off the subject if only for only a moment, but this habit has bled into seeing silver linings in my own complexities. And may I say how refreshing it can be. I used to say that nothing can be healthier than laughing at yourself. But, I am also going to advocate that, though it is not always immediate, seeing the silver lining in your own difficulties brings much ease of mind and spirit.

I just "started" and am wearing light khakis....at least nobody will ask me if I am preggers today!

The dog peed on the clean clothes basket....well, at least he didn't pee on the other dog.

I have deodorant stains on my shirt...at least there is no question that I do in fact use good hygiene products!

Hubby is going to have to work a double again.....$$$$$$ AND -Woohoo- I can be in bed @ 7:30 and watch what I want to!

An optimist is merely an ex-pessimist with his pockets full of money, his digestion in good condition, and his wife in the country. ~Helen Rowland

3 Rants:

  1. Supermom said...

    Hubby is going to have to work a double again.....$$$$$$ AND -Woohoo- I can be in bed @ 7:30 and watch what I want to!

    LOL... how many times have I said THIS!

    December 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM  

  2. From the Doghouse said...

    Some say the glass is half full; some say it is half empty.

    I just hope nobody's expecting ME to pay for this half of a drink!

    December 6, 2007 at 8:55 AM  

  3. BB said...

    i'm just glad the glass has sumthin' in it! LOL!!! :)

    December 6, 2007 at 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment